Sunday, March 27, 2022

Prog Contest 2022: Round 1, Match 5 Results

Well, this round was different. To be truthful, I didn't find there to be that big a difference quality-wise between these two LPs. But the vote this time wasn't close.

Here's what I had to say:

I'm ready to vote, although I'm not exactly over the moon about either of these albums.

For me, the Brand X LP is harmless, but bland. After three listens, there weren't any parts I hated, but none that I really loved either.

The Axis album, on the other hand, is an album of highs and lows for me. I liked the intro song and the "Axis goes to church" bit at the 34-minute mark. There's also something in there that reminds me vaguely of ELP's "Just Take a Pebble". On the other hand, there were parts that struck me as kind of sour.

Nevertheless, I'm going to vote for the one that had more high spots for me rather than the one that played it safer. My vote (and also probably the Diva curse) goes to Axis.

For once, the group agreed with me, and big time.

Final Result: Brand X 3 votes, Axis 15 votes.

The curse has been broken! Onward and upwards.