Sunday, March 6, 2022

Prog Contest 2022: Round 1, Match 2 Results

 Posting from the high seas today. (And I'll have more to say about that in a day or so.)

This was another exciting, come from behind win. Here's what I had to say:

Mmm. After first listen, these are two savory morsels. The first is more manic, the second more laid back.

I almost feel like Sisare has a psychedelic rock feel to it.

For some reason, maybe because the vocalist is so wacky, Novela makes me think of Focus.

I'm on my third listen right now, and I think I'm going to need a fourth to make a decision. 

I feel like Novela's album is more exciting, and they perhaps have the better songs. On the other hand, I like Sisare's overall sound better, and they have no real minuses, whereas Novela's vocalist is a slight negative. Two very good albums make for a very tough choice.

Maybe I'm wrong about the songs.


Finally, when it came time to vote:

This is one of those cases where I'm sorry that we're going to lose either of these albums. My vote is for Sisare, although I suspect where many of the bands I vote for in future rounds are bands I won't like as much as Novela.

In the end, as kinetic and fun as the Novela LP is, the Sisare really grew on me. I love some of the guitar stuff going on in songs like Geno, and I liked the psychedelic element to their music. I didn't hate the Novela vocalist, but there were times where I felt his vocals were the weak link in their songs. The vocals for Sisare were much smoother.

So as I said, my vote goes to Sisare.


As it turned out, though, while Sisare went out to an early 5-1 lead, Novela came roaring back.

Final Result: Novela 11 votes, Sisare 8 votes.

Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to vote in Match 3, because as I said, I'm out at sea right now on the 80s Cruise. And while I do have internet, I don't have streaming services.

I'll let you know about that later in the week. But next up, I'll start reporting on the cruise. Peace out.