Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Folk Contest: Round 1 Match 8 Results

Zoinks! Forgot to post this. This one was never really close. It was also a weird round, because one of the guys whose rec was up for voting got mad at me three weeks ago and essentially dropped out, when he tried to vote after the deadline and I disallowed it. And the other guy whose rec was up for a vote voted for the first guy's rec instead of his own. (And it doesn't seem to have been any kind of protest vote - he just liked the other rec better.)

Anyway, here was my vote:

Laura Gibson - This isn't really a folk album - I suspect her previous work was probably more folky/alt country - this feels to me more like light jazz pop. It is a good album though. I especially like "Slow Joke Grin".

Unfortunately, for Laura, though, she runs into a buzzsaw with Fire on Fire. This album is weird and wonderful, with multiple singers. I wasn't familiar with this band, or with Cerberus Shoal, the band they grew out of, but I will listen to more of both in the future.

My vote is for Fire on Fire.

The majority of the rest of the group agreed with me. 

Final Results: Laura Gibson 3 votes, Fire on Fire 7 votes.

Winner: Fire on Fire