Sunday, April 17, 2022

Prog Contest 2022: Round 1, Match 8 Results

This was another pretty close round, at least until the very end. However, this time it didn't follow the pattern of come-from-behind victory that so many of the other rounds did. I had a few comments about the matchup throughout. Here they were:

Dagmar doesn't sound anything like I remember on the joint album with Henry Cow. 

After a brief discussion on the list about how this was more of a straight pop album as opposed to that one, I added:

Very much. There's even a "Girl From Ipanema"-type number.

After a discussion as to whether the Slapp Happy album should even be classified as progressive rock, I went on to add:

Well, as far as my scoring goes, I've told you guys before I don't worry about how progressive it is. I leave that up to the tournament host. And once an album has been accepted for the tournament, I score it solely on how much I like it.

Then I moved on to talk about the Jono El Grande album, saying:

The beginning of Jono El Grande almost sounds like Zappa to me.

When it came time to vote, I brought it all together:

I'm ready to vote. My curse...um, I mean vote...goes to Jono El Grande. (Sorry about that, zak.)

I like several of the tracks on the Slapp Happy album, especially the first one and most of the later ones. Some of the ones in the middle left me a little cold, though.

I liked the Jono El Grande album pretty much throughout. As several of us stated, it's in the vein of Zappa, but I found it to be a little more contained than a lot of Zappa. I liked a lot of the use of strings throughout the album.

For once, the majority of the group agreed with me. Although at one point, Slapp Happy led 5 votes to 3, in the end, the vote went the other way.

Final Result: Slapp Happy 7 votes, Jono El Grande 13 votes.

Only two matches left in the first round.