Friday, April 8, 2022

About Song of the Day Again

Well, I kind of had a feeling this was coming. I got back involved with the Sputnik Song of the Day contest last month, and immediately noticed that participation was down from where it had been when I left last November. 

I somewhat reluctantly joined again for April, but it turned out to be a bad idea. The theme was songs that you hate that you believe all of the other users would love. I picked "Let's Go Crazy" by Prince, as you all know how I feel about Prince. (Not good.) I would have preferred to used his "Batdance" ("Ooooo! Vicky Vale!). But I had to imagine that my fellow Users would hate that as much as I do. (For the record, I find most of "Let's Go Crazy" more boring and predictable than hateful, except for that stupid intro. But the intro was enough for me.)

One of the other Users picked Pink Floyd's "Welcome to the Machine", which I figured would be an easy winner. Unfortunately, I was wrong. Several of the Users gave it mediocre scores, which sucked, but I could live with. However, one of them ventured the opinion that he thought the song was only a 2.5 out of 5, but he was going to give it a 1 out of 5 because he thought it ruined an otherwise excellent album.

At that point, I knew I was done with Song of the Day. I've never had the ability to suffer fools gladly, and I feel like if people aren't going to take their scores seriously, there's not much point in it.

So if you enjoyed my monthly reports on Song of the Day, sorry about that.