Sunday, April 10, 2022

Prog Contest 2022: Round 1, Match 7 Results

Geez, it happened again! The album I voted for got off to a big lead and then crumbled down the stretch. My fellow Users are now all referring to it as the Diva curse.

Here was my vote, and my comments about it:

I'm gonna be honest here. With apologies to my friend Friday, I just don't like The Mercury Tree. I didn't like their last album, and I don't like this one. Their music is so deliberately sour that it doesn't matter to me how complex and well thought out it is, I just don't enjoy listening to it.

While All Traps on Earth isn't a total win for me, I like it more than not. I don't hear it as dark as much as very sci-fi. There are parts that sound a bit like Chick Corea, and those are the parts that don't totally work for me. But overall, I think this is a pretty strong LP, and one I look forward to re-listening to.

This vote was an easy one for me. I vote for All Traps On Earth.

At the time I voted, my vote made it 6 to 2 in favor of All Traps on Earth. The vote then closed up to 6 votes to 5, then opened up again to 9 votes to 5. Unfortunately for me, however, the last five votes all went to Mercury Tree, giving it the come-from-behind victory.

Final Result: Mercury Tree 11 votes, All Traps on Earth 10 votes. (Vote tally has been updated from my original post.)

As I said: "Geez."