Monday, September 20, 2021

Prog Contest Tournament of Champions: The Final Round Results (Yay!)

Well, this was it. Each of our contestants fought through and won their own Prog Rock (or Psych Rock) contest to get here. Then they fought their way to this final round. Three of them were left standing. Users were asked to vote by ranking the three finalists from 1 to 3.

Here was my vote:

1. Universal Totem Orchestra - Mathematical Mother

2. T2 - It'll All Work Out in Boomland

3. Landberk - One Man Tells Another

In the end, I loved UTO and their operatic female vocalist the most. I voted for T2 second, because although I generally like prog rock better than psych rock, the T2 LP was extremely well done, and T2's song "In Circles" was one of the best in the tournament. As for the Landberk LP, while there were bits I liked, overall, it just didn't really speak to me.

And as it happened, the group in general agreed with my assessment. The final point totals were:

1. UTO: 37 pts

2. T2: 30 pts

3. Landberk: 29 points

And so the overall winning album of the Sputnik Music Prog Rock Tournament of Champions was Mathematical Mother by the Universal Totem Orchestra.