Sunday, October 3, 2021

September 2021 Song of the Day

What can I say about the September Song of the Day list? I have no idea. Let's find out together, shall we?

For new readers, this blog entry refers to the monthly Song of the Day list on the Sputnik Music website. Each month, one User hosts the list and names a theme. Everyone then recommends songs in line with this theme, and people rate the various song recommendations. The list of September songs can be found at Sputnik Music Song of the Day - September 2021. (Bet you guys thought I was just going to stupidly repeat "The list of June songs..." like I have been for the last three months, huh? Well fool me four times, shame on ... oh, forget it.)

1. The theme for the month was Songs That Relax You, the working theory being that September marks the end of summer and a return to busier times. (A lot of Sput Users are students, or grad students, or work at colleges. For the rest of us, September is just business as usual, but whatever.

2. Participation was a little better this month. Nevertheless, I still got to make two picks. While a lot of my fellow Users went new age/ambient, I went in a slightly different direction. My first pick was the lovely song "Breathing" by Ingrid Michaelson. My second choice, which I knew wouldn't be well received, was a bit of Celtic reggae by New York heroes Black 47, in the form of their great tune "Voodoo City". (And I was correct about the reception, heh heh. Sometimes I pick songs for the others, but sometimes I pick them just for me.) Ingrid Michaelson - BreathingBlack 47 - Voodoo City.

3. I had a pretty enjoyable month, with my average rating just a little below a 3 (out of 5). My highest rating was a tie between a song I'd never heard before, "Ever New" by Beverly-Glenn Copeland, and one I've a million times, "What a Wonderful World" by my old neighbor Louis Armstrong. (I used to live right down the block from the cemetery he's buried in.) Beverly-Glenn Copeland - Ever NewLouis Armstrong - What a Wonderful World.

4. As often happens when one person recs a classic and everyone else rates relatively obscure songs, the classic won hands down. So the highest rated song by the group in general was also Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World." Louis Armstrong - What a Wonderful World.

5. And as I always at least try to do (when YouTube will cooperate with me), for those who like to listen along at home, here is the complete playlist for the month. September 2021 Song of the Day YouTube Playlist.

Chillier days are ahead, my friends. So come back next month, and I'll try to warm your hearts with some fine October music. (And maybe I'll even have that Go-Go's article I've been promising you. It could happen!

Stay safe.