Thursday, September 16, 2021

Prog Contest Tournament of Champions: Semi-Finals Results (??????)

Well, once again, we come to a semi-final round where we get results that are somewhat less than final. 

First, I'll tell you about my votes. In the first contest, the one between T2 and Landberk, I voted for T2. The truth is that while the Landberk LP was clearly the proggier of the two, it never really reached me. I voted for it over the McLuhan album in the last round, because I actively disliked the McLuhan. But truth be told, I found the Landberk album project a little boring. On the other hand, even though I voted in the last round for Los Jaivas over T2, it was a torturous pick for me. The T2 is a little rockier than my usual style, but it's really well done. This is especially true of that first track, "In Circles", which was one of the best songs from any of the entries in this tournament.

As for the second matchup, while the Wobbler LP continues to grow on me, I just loved the Universal Totem Orchestra entry and those operatic vocals. So my vote went to UTO.

Now to the results. Let's talk about the second contest first. Much to my surprise, UTO won this one somewhat easily, 9 votes to 5. I found this a little surprising, even though I voted for UTO myself, because I would have made the Wobbler album the favorite of this tournament, based on it's reputation alone. But I guess that's why we hold the actual vote. So UTO moved on to the finals.

The first matchup, however, kind of gummed up the works. This one was close from the get-go, and by the time we reached the voting deadline on Friday, it was in a dead heat at 6-6. Our friend Friday13th, in an attempt to reach clarity, kept the voting open for an extra day, and when our the User known as someone came in with a vote for T2, it looked like it was over. But then at the end of the day, MiloRuggles came in with a vote for Landberk, and it was all tied up again. At this point, I suggested we settle by having the two Users who hand recommended T2 and Landberk fight it out with water balloons. Our friend Friday, however, chose to go a different way, and passed both LPs on to the finals. So it looks like we will be having a three-way Final Round between T2, Landberk and Universal Totem Orchestra. Stay tuned.