Monday, July 19, 2021

Prog Contest 2021: Round 1 Match 9

 For this matchup, Friday chose to pair two albums that he felt epitomized excellent guitar music, pitting Gary Moore of Colosseum II against Phil Manzanera of Quiet Sun. Here's what it looks like:

Colosseum II - Wardance

"In the mid 2000's when my wife and I were DINKS (dual income no kids) there was an old record store within walking distance, with 1000's of records, the guy made everything without a name on it (Beatles/Stones/etc.) was either $1.99 or $3.99. I would spend hours in there and come home with armfuls twice a week. I got good at picking unknown stuff that fit my ear. I was stocking my shelves with perfect inclusions for this album years before there was such a wonderful thing. Which is where Colosseum II comes in. It probably caught my eye because of the inclusion of Gary Moore of Thin Lizzy fame. I promise you it will not sound like Thin Lizzy Instead this sounds like a awesome progressive jazz fusion band that makes it all work somehow. Every band members influences are on display throughout. A most fun album with changing styles coming in and out of focus." - wham49

Youtube playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPcvSmtCsrhc9CF7KjmCqGxilbZN56nQE


vs.


Quiet Sun - Mainstream

"I love the Canterbury prog style. As a real contestant for the first time, and it seems the last too, I needed to choose one of its albums and Mainstream is one of the best albums to that of the '70s. I love the album and Manzanera guitar style." - TheIntruder

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/6WUzJONHD1qkuMhbqJfgsD?autoplay=true
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQsmzpFVXkM


Let's see how it plays out.