Friday, July 2, 2021

Prog Contest 2021: Round 1 Match 6 Results

 So last Friday, after having trouble breathing on and off over the last couple of weeks, I finally made it in to see my doctor. She sent me for an X-Ray, and at her recommendation, I soon found myself in the Emergency Room. Before long, I learned I had pneumonia, and a ton of fluid on both lungs (which is probably why it felt like I was breathing through water.)

I could tell you a ton of stories - I wound up spending five days in the hospital. But here's how it relates to this post - prior to being hospitalized, I only had the chance to listen to each of this week's entries once. Luckily, that was enough, as I had a strong enough preference to know who I wanted to vote for.

By Monday, when it was apparent I wasn't going home yet, I asked Denise if I could use her phone to go up on the Sputnik site and vote. Here's what I said at the time:

Hi guys
In hospital but I vote for hercules
Hope to be out in a day or two

When I got home the next day, I added a bit more detail, although by that time, the contest had already been called:

Just to elaborate on my vote, while I regret I wasn't able to give the albums the three listens I usually do, I heard enough with one solid listen apiece to know my vote was solid.

There were a couple of times where I thought Hercules went a little over the top, but overall, I have such a strong stylistic preference for Hercules' brand of folk infused prog over Szobel's kind of jazz prog that it was clear which way my vote was going. I will say, though, that I enjoyed the Szobel more than I usually do music of this style.

As it happened, though, this week's match up wasn't as close as last week's, and unfortunately, my pick didn't win the day.

Final Result: Hercules and Lernaean Hydra 7 votes, Hermann Szobel 11 votes.