Friday, April 3, 2020

March 2020 Song of the Day

For new readers, this refers to the monthly Song of the Day list on the Sputnik Music website. Each month, one user hosts the list and names a theme. Everyone then recommends songs in line with this theme, and people rate the various song recommendations. The list of March songs can be found at Sputnik Music Song of the Day - March 2020.

1. The theme for the month was to "WINTER". We were looking for songs about snow, cold, ice, etc. We had pretty good participation for the month - I think 25 or so people contributed song recommendations, and thanks to people being housebound due to the coronavirus, we had higher participation in terms of people rating than the songs than we have in previous months. As I was the host this month, I was one of the lucky handful who got to make a second rec for the month.

2. My first pick for the month was a relatively unknown one by local New York City songstress Allison Tartalia. I don't even remember anymore when I first met Allison, but she did come out to Long Island at least once to play an LIMC show at the old Zen Den (the precursor to the Pisces Cafe) in Babylon. This is my favorite song of hers. It's called "Frost". (Allison Tartalia - Frost)

My second pick was by the British alt rock band Bush, and I think it might be their best song as well. It's called "The Sound of Winter". (Bush - The Sound of Winter)

3. My highest rated song of the month was a classic of the sixties, "California Dreamin'" by The Mamas and The Papas. (The Mamas and The Papas - California Dreamin')

This was also the highest rated song by the Sputnik Users as a whole. (So they got it right for once, heh heh!)

The link to the playlist for the month, minus the two songs that aren't up on YouTube, can be found at March 2020 Song of the Day YouTube Playlist.