Wednesday, March 4, 2020

February 2020 Song of the Day

For new readers, this refers to the monthly Song of the Day list on the Sputnik Music website. Each month, one user hosts the list and names a theme. Everyone then recommends songs in line with this theme, and people rate the various song recommendations.

1. The theme for the month was to pick a song that represented your grandparents' taste in music. I found this to be a different, and kind of fun theme. (It also set off all kinds of memories for me, not only of my grandparents but of my parents as well.) I think some of our usual participants were put off by it, though, as a smaller number of users took part in it than usual. (Which is why I had two picks for the month instead of just one.)

2. My first rec for the month was a song my paternal grandmother (whose name was Margaret) always liked when my father (who was an amateur singer/singing bartender) sang to her: "Margie" by the Italian saloon song singer, Jimmy Roselli. My second pick was one I remember my maternal grandmother liking, "Lazy River" by The Mills Brothers.

3. My highest-rated song was a movement from act III of Wagner's Die Walkure (known by many as the song they napalm the Viet Cong to in Apocalypse Now, and known by me as the song Elmer Fudd sings "Kill the wabbit!" to in Bugs Bunny cartoons.)

4. However, the highest-rated song of the month by the group as a whole was "Something" by The Beatles. Of course, my grandparents saw The Beatles as a bunch of long-haired drug-using hippy freaks. But most of the Sputnik guys are a lot younger than I am, and their grandparents are about my age. (Sigh.)

The link to the playlist for the month, minus one song that wasn't up on YouTube, is February 2020 Song of the Day.