Thursday, March 12, 2020

Coronavirus Blues

Geez, Cuomo just shut down Broadway. Combine that with the fact that the NHL, MLB, NBA and NCAA and have all suspended their seasons, and I guess I'm going to actually have to take this thing seriously.

With Denise and my son away, I had big plans over the next three days. Was planning to see Cabaret at the Argyle Theater tonight, the band Fiddler's Green at the South Country Library tomorrow, and Guys and Dolls at the Bayway Arts Center on Saturday. But as a 63-year-old diabetic father and husband of a family that isn't ready to lose me yet, guess I'm going to have to do the responsible thing and stay home. Might change my mind tomorrow, but at least for tonight, I'm going to call off my activities. Responsibility sucks. (At least I didn't buy any tickets, so I won't be out any money.)

Pretty sure next week's Howard Jones concert at the Paramount is dead, too. (Denise will be bummed about that one.) Cuomo's new directive prohibits gatherings of 500 or more people, and the Paramount holds about three times that amount. Sure glad I got to go to my Cherish the Ladies show the other night.

Meanwhile, I've been following Denise's cruise on Facebook. About two thirds of the headlining bands have cancelled (The B-52's, Brett Michaels, Loverboy, Dire Straits), but she seems to still be having a great time with the ones that did show up (Tony Hadley of Spandau Ballet, Big Country, Berlin, etc.). My son, not so much, but he's a hip-hop lover, not an eighties kid. I keep seeing a lot about room service for him.

I'm wondering how they're going to do with getting home from Florida on Sunday, and what the flight situation will be. Luckily, we have a ton of people down in Florida, so if they have trouble getting home, I'm sure they'll have someplace to stay. My daughter, her boyfriend, the three cats and myself will have to hold down the home front until they make it back.

On the upside, I had a huge fight with Ticketmaster last week when I discovered that the Alice Cooper tickets I bought for this June couldn't be printed out, you have to show them on your cell phone. Hello, flip phone here! They refused to refund my money. Now, maybe they'll have to, if the current crowd restrictions are still in effect then. So bite me, Ticketmaster!

Anyway, welcome to the wonderful age of coronavirus. All that's missing is the zombies.