Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Top 10 Local Albums of 2020

Well, it seems that every year I get earlier and earlier with my yearly Best-Of lists. I'm basically done with my listening for 2020, and probably because of the COVID, I listened to (slightly) fewer new albums this year than I did last year. This is a new phenomenon -- I usually promise myself I'm going to listen to fewer, but every year in the past, I've wound up listening to more. So anyway, not only am I ready to go with this list, but my Top 10 Albums and Top 20 Songs lists are also basically ready to go whenever I have time to write them up. (Although I'm toying with increasing the song list to a Top 25 this year. Maybe I'll just do five honorable mentions, to keep that 20 number consistent with years past.)

Once again, here are the rules: To be eligible, it has to be a full-length album of at least seven songs (unless there are one or more epic-length songs). No EPs allowed. It also has to be all by one artist -- no compilations. And this year, for the first time, partially because I got rid of my Post Office Box because of the virus and partially because I'm running out of physical space in my house, most of the albums I bought were digital copies instead of physical CDs. I've resisted going this route for years, but I suppose eventually it was inevitable.

As for the definition of the word "local", as always, I try to keep it very loose. For the purposes of picking a Top 10 Local Albums list, here's what I consider "local": 1. Long Island, for sure; 2. The five boroughs of NYC (especially Brooklyn, where a lot of Long Island bands have run off to); 3. Sometimes Jersey or a little ways upstate, if the mood takes me. (As I've said in the past, I'm not giving away money or anything, so I kind of get to make up the rules as I go along). Also, if a band or artist spent a decent amount of time living on and playing on Long Island or in the City in the past, they get to qualify, even if they've moved to another area of the country.

I'm sure that this was also COVID-related, but we had a lot fewer releases from our local indie artists (at least ones that I was aware of) than we have in years past. 

As I did last year, I'll be including a link to my favorite track from each album. And at the end of the list, I'll give you a link to a YouTube playlist that has them all. Anyway, here, in reverse order, are my Top 10 Local Artists of 2020:

Top 10 Local Albums of 2020

10. Deerheart - All Your Favorite Songs

This isn't the first time that local rocker Tom Ciorciari (aka Deerheart) has made this list. He's always had a great Springsteen/Petty/Mellancamp kind of vibe to him, and this album continues in that tradition. There were actually a number of contenders for my favorite song on this LP, but I'm going with this one: Deerheart - All My Better Years.

9. Binary Code - Memento Mori

Binary Code is a progressive metal band originally formed in Bergen County, New Jersey that now resides in Brooklyn, NY. They've got a sound that's powerful and maybe even a little bleak (making them the perfect band for this past year.) Sputnik Music has this listed this as their sixth full-length album, and who am I to argue? Binary Code - Even Death May Die.

8. Sufjan Stevens and Lowell Brams - Aporia

This LP finds transplanted Michigan native Sufjan Stevens teaming up with his stepfather Lowell Brams (of Carrie and Lowell fame) to deliver an album of transcendent ambient music that will soothe your spirit and expand your mind. Well played, gentlemen. Well played. Sufjan Stevens and Lowell Brams - Agathon

7. Blue Oyster Cult - The Symbol Remains

Who knew these guys still had an album this good in them? These guys have been rocking since the early '70s, and they've still obviously got a lot left in the tank. If live concerts ever become a thing again, I might have to finally go and check them out. Again, there were a lot of possible choices for my favorite track on this LP, but my dark heart is going with this one: Blue Oyster Cult - Nightmare Epiphany.

6. Off Road Minivan - Swan Dive

This is the debut LP from Dutchess County band Off Road Minivan, and it's a little bit of alt rock heaven. I'm hoping this is just the beginning of a long career. Off Road Minivan - It's Harder to Make It Below Third.

5. Nation of Language - Introduction, Presence

This is another debut full-lengther, this time by Brooklyn-based synth-popper Ian Richard Devaney, aka Nation of Language. This is a man who clearly loves the '80s and takes his inspiration from artists such as New Order and Joy Division. Nation of Language - On Division St.

4. Sufjan Stevens - Ascension

This follow-up to 2015's Carrie and Lowell has divided some of Sufjan's fans, as it's an album in a very different vein. It's more synth-heavy, more airy and less personal, which is just fine with me. I'm not going to claim that every track on here is a winner, but it's a strong enough LP to be a no-brainer to make this list. Sufjan Stevens - Video Game.

3. Woods - Strange to Explain

This is the eighth LP by this psychedelic lo-fi band from Brooklyn, and they've really outdone themselves on this one. It's a little folky, a little brassy, a little synthesized and a lot of fun. This is the kind of album I can safely just let myself get carried away with, and let the music just float me away. Woods - Just to Fall Asleep.

2. The Kenn Morr Band - Open Field

This former Long Islander (and now Connecticut resident) has released eight original LPs over the years (some of them solo efforts, some with his band), and this is one of his best. His gravel-voiced folk style is both soothing and uplifting, and never more so than on this release. In non-pandemic times, he still plays on Long Island at least once or twice a year, so whenever live music makes its comeback, I'd recommend checking him out. The Kenn Morr Band - Open Field.

1. Nada Surf - Never Not Together

I have to confess, I hadn't listened to this NYC-based alternative rock band in many years prior to 2020. But if this is an example of what they've been up to, it's time for me to go and check out their back catalog. It flat-out blew me away how much I enjoyed this LP, how consistent it is, and how many times I kept finding myself going to back to it throughout the year. It thoroughly deserves to be named my Local Album of the Year for 2020. Nada Surf - Live Learn and Forget.

So that's my list. If you'd like to listen to my favorite song from each LP as a playlist, you'll find it (from # 10 to #1, even though YouTube has it labeled oppositely) at Top 10 Local Albums of 2020.

I'll be back sometime within the next few days to post my overall Top 10 Albums of 2020 list. Meanwhile, there's supposed to be snow tomorrow, so be careful out there.