Saturday, December 5, 2020

November 2020 Song of the Day

 OK, here we go with November's exciting Song of the Day. And this month's list was especially scintillating, because I got to be the host. Can you feel the excitement? Yay! (OK, I'm ridiculous.)

For new readers, this blog entry refers to the monthly Song of the Day list on the Sputnik Music website. Each month, one user hosts the list and names a theme. Everyone then recommends songs in line with this theme, and people rate the various song recommendations. The list of November songs can be found at Sputnik Music Song of the Day - November 2020.

1. The theme for the month was Celestial Bodies - songs about the sun, the moon, the stars, etc.

2. I actually made three picks this month, because I'm a pick hog. (Although technically, the third one was a bonus pick.) My two regular picks were a song by Long Island's own Dave Isaacs (with harmonies by the lovely ladies of Buddha Box), "The Moon." Sticking with that moon theme, my second pick was an '80s classic, "The Killing Moon" by Echo & The Bunnymen (which had a late surge and almost won the month. But didn't.) And my bonus pick (one of the bonus picks for the month) was yet another iconic song from the '80s, "Under the Milky Way" by The Church. (Dave Isaacs - The MoonEcho & The Bunnymen - The Killing MoonThe Church - Under the Milky Way)

3. My highest rated song of the month was a 1990's classic, "Sadeness (Part 1)" by Enigma (Enigma - Sadeness (Part 1)).

4. However, this month's winner, in what became a close battle between a number of contenders, was "Moonage Daydream" by David Bowie (David Bowie - Moonage Daydream). (Bowie has been God on Sputnik, especially since his unfortunate passing. I found this to be a fairly middle-of-the-road Bowie song, but it's not all about me. Why, though? Why isn't it all about me?!)

5. We actually had 32 songs this month (thanks to the two bonus picks), 31 of which were available on YouTube. So here's the YouTube playlist: November 2020 Song of the Day YouTube Playlist.

This was actually one of my higher rated months as a whole since at least this past summer. There were some nice picks here, and not too many awful ones. 

Anyway, hope you had a good Thanksgiving month. Onwards to Holiday season!