Tuesday, August 23, 2022

My Favorite Songs of 2022 So Far

Most years, it's just around this time of the year that I start organizing my favorite songs. This year, I'm going to let you in on the process.

I usually keep a playlist of potentials that consists of my favorite song (or sometimes two songs) from each album I've listened to for the year. Around halfway through the year, I start organizing that list into five categories (in relation to the my Favorite Songs of the Year) list: Definite, Probable, Possible, Maybe, and No. As I listen to my playlist over the course of the year (constantly adding new songs to it), I shuffle songs in and out of the various categories.

Right now, I've got 69 songs in the overall 2022 Potentials list, including four each in the Definite and Probable categories. I think those are the only ones I'm going to describe for you here. So here are those eight songs, in alphabetical order by artist:

Alexia Avina - I Am Opening - A slow, quiet, ethereal song that almost floats away on its own.

Barrie - Dig - Quirky but pretty little alt-pop love song.

Beach House - Over and Over - Dream pop at its finest by this Baltimore, MD duo.

The Birthday Massacre - One More Time - Hook laden alternative rock.

Graveyard Club - Broken Wide Open - '80s influenced alternate pop rock with male and female vocals.

Matisyahu - Lonely Day - Just another heartfelt, well-written Matisyahu song.

The Monochrome Set - My Deep Shoreline - Slighty sarcastic but lovely track from this veteran '80s indie pop band.

Nocturna - The Trickster - Bombastic ballad from this Italian gothic symphonic rock band.


And here, without descriptions, are the 21 songs in my Possible category:

Antigone Rising - Badlands

Bastille - Shut Off the Lights

Big Thief - Spud Infinity

Broods - Piece of My Mind

Calexico - Cumbia Peninsula

Chaos Magic - Garden of Winter

Darkher - Immortals

Envy of None - Never Said I Love You

Faun - Innisfree

Graveyard Club - Rose Wine

Lights - Easy Money

Johnny Marr - Night and Day

Moonlight Haze - It's Insane

The Ninth Wave - Maybe You Didn't Know

Peregrine - The Awful Things

Placebo - Chemtrails

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Not the One

Royksopp (with Alison Goldfrapp) - Impossible

Say Sue Me - No Real Place

SheWolf - Lone Wolf

Visions of Atlantis - Legions of the Sea