Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Top 20 Songs of 2021, Part 2 - #'s 10-1

Well, a year's worth of listening goes into making up these year-end Best Of lists. So let's bring it all home and put 2021 to bed.

Here are my Top 10 Songs of 2021, from # 10 down to # 1.


10. Epica - "Rivers" Epica - Rivers

This is from my #1 album of the year, Epica's Omega, and it's the slow ballad of the LP. The piano is gorgeous here, but the track's strongest point is that it allows vocalist Simone Simons the chance to really demonstrate the sheer beauty of her voice.


9. Soen - "Illusion" Soen - Illusion

Finally, a win for the boys. This is Swedish supergroup Soen's second time in three years on the Top 20 Songs list, thanks in no small part to the mesmerizing vocals of singer Joel Ekelof (as well as to some majestic guitar work by Cody Lee Ford). This is a slow-to-mid-tempo track of epic grandeur.


8. Chvrches - "How Not to Drown" Chvrches - How Not to Drown (with Robert Smith)

Well the girls are back, but this time, Chvrches' Lauren Mayberry gets a very able assist from The Cure's Robert Smith. This one is kind of hypnotic, and what a grand team up!


7. Tigers Jaw - "Lemon Mouth" Tigers Jaw - Lemon Mouth

This is another one of those bands that seems to have at least one song in the running for this list every time they release an album. This alt rock band tends to alternate male and female vocals, and in fact Brandon Walsh seems to actually take about two thirds of the leads. But bandmate Brianna Collins sings this one, and does a beautiful job on it.


6. Maggie Lindemann - "Knife Under My Pillow" Maggie Lindemann - Knife Under My Pillow

Disney brat Olivia Rodrigo had the teen set eating out her fingers this year, and I get why. But if I was going to put my money on an up-and-coming pop princess, I think it would be this 23-year-old Texan. This is my favorite track from Maggie Lindemann's debut LP Paranoia, which was released last January. It's something of a pop punk ode to night terrors.


5. Wolf Alice - "The Beach II" Wolf Alice - The Beach II

This laid back, soft tune by British alt rockers Wolf Alice also sounds like a nursery rhyme. It's not all that complicated, just really pretty, made even more so by singer Ellie Rowsell's highly pleasing vocals.


4. Icon For Hire - "Enemies" Icon For Hire - Enemies

This is a bizarre little track that I heard early in 2021, and it just stuck with me all year. It's got kind of a playful horror vibe.


3. Torres - "Thirstier" Torres - Thirstier

Well, you saw Torres' "Don't Go Puttin Wishes in My Head" on the first half of this Top 20 list, and honestly, it was almost a coin toss as to which of these two songs I liked better. They're both about the same complicated relationship, and while the first was more bouncy and joyful, this one is about the pure desire that pulls Torres towards her partner. Both tracks really needed to be on this list.


2. Teenage Wrist - "Taste of Gasoline" Teenage Wrist - Taste of Gasoline

This one is just a classic alternative rock single with a perfect hook. This is another one of those songs (and albums) that I heard early in 2021, and it just stayed with me all year. I'm amazed that this LA band isn't better known. It should be.


1. The Sere - "Always the Cold Moon" The Sere - Always the Cold Moon

Whoa! Just when you thought New York had been totally disrespected, with none of the top local albums making the Album of the Year list, here comes a local lad to win the grand prize and take the Top Song of 2021 title. I don't know much about who this synthpop artist is, other than that his name is JonS and he's a New Yorker. I found him by complete accident on Bandcamp.com. But this very '80s-style electropop song was without a doubt my favorite track of the year. It's from an EP of the same name. So eat our undies, rest of the world! New York is back, baby!


And with that, we put 2021 to bed. This Top 20 playlist can be found on YouTube at Top 20 Songs of 2021.

So, 2022 music will start coming out in a week or so, and I'll also be starting my listening for my Fleetwood Mac article and getting ready for the 80s Cruise in March. And who knows, maybe I'll even sneak in an album review before then.

So don't do anything I wouldn't do, and I'll see you guys real soon.