Friday, August 13, 2021

Prog Contest 2021: The Semi-Final Round - Results(????)

 Sorry I'm late with this again. Truth is 1. I've been ridiculously busy, both with work and with a variety of home challenges, and also 2. I've been sick again this week, enough so that I thought I might have to go back into the hospital (this time with either a stone of some kind, or a diverticulitis situation on my left side.) But I've been drinking massive amounts of fluid, and while it's not completely gone, it's way, way better, to the point where I think I'm going to be able to go without going to the doctor.

Aging sucks.

Anyway, back to our contest, which featured Jordsjo against Yolk and Hermann Szobel against Regal Worm.

This was an easy choice for me, as I strongly preferred the Jordsjo over the Yolk and the Regal Worm over the Hermann Szobel (to the point where I felt fine voting this round without giving any of the albums another listen.)

However, it wasn't such an easy choice for everyone. Or maybe it was, but the choices were very different for the various Users who voters.

Both contests went back and forth, and in each contest, neither LP ever got more than two votes ahead of its competition.

In the end, when the smoke cleared, the votes (improbably enough) were:

Jordsjo 19 votes vs. Yolk 19 votes; and Hermann Szobel 19 votes vs. Regal Worm 19 votes. We had TWO DEAD TIES!

A number of solutions were suggested, some serious and some silly, including getting a guest voter to break the tie, inviting one of the site moderators to break the tie, and album-art competition and even an air guitar competition. 

In the end, our friend Friday made the only really practical choice. See my next post for the set-up of the tournament finals.