Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Prog Contest 2021: Round 1 Match 2 Results

This round was kind of a slaughter. Not that everyone hated the one album, but there was a clear preference for the other.

Here was my vote:

OK, I'm ready to vote. Given my previously stated preferences and tastes, this one won't be a shock to anyone.

The Moose Loose album is an all instrumental album, which is always a challenge for my teeny tiny attention span. (Yeah, I know, I rec'd an instrumental album last time, what's your point? That was German synthesizer music, a totally different animal.) It's also a jazz album, much more jazzy than it is proggy (to my ears, anyway). Having said that, the playing on the LP is really hot at times, and quite beautiful at others. But it's still outside of my usual taste zone.

The Jordsjo is more to my liking. It's a more traditional prog album (at least the way I define prog), with lots of flute, keyboards, soft guitars, etc. I wouldn't necessarily say the vocalist is a standout, but he's pretty good, more than acceptable.

Stylistically, the Jordsjo LP had a huge advantage for me over the Moose Loose LP going in. I vote for Jordsjo.

This time, most of the group was with me.

Final Result: Moose Loose 4 votes, Nordsjo 15 votes.