Saturday, March 13, 2021

February 2021 Song of the Day

 It's been a brutal month so far. So it's March 13, and I'm just getting around to February's SOTD. Sorry about that. Anyway, here we go.

For new readers, this blog entry refers to the monthly Song of the Day list on the Sputnik Music website. Each month, one user hosts the list and names a theme. Everyone then recommends songs in line with this theme, and people rate the various song recommendations. The list of February songs can be found at Sputnik Music Song of the Day - February 2021.

1. The theme for the month was non-romantic love songs. It encompassed platonic love, familial love, unconventional love, love that didn't work out, etc.

2. We had another month of full participation, which was nice. So everybody got to pick one song. My choice for the month was one that I got from Denise. She's always been a big Thomas Dolby fan, and sometime after we first met, she exposed me to this one, which I found both sad and beautiful. My rec was his song "I Love You Goodbye." It didn't win the month, but it was pretty well received. Thomas Dolby - I Love You Goodbye.

3. I enjoyed the month pretty well - my average score was 3.05 out of 5, and that included a rec that sounded like a 12-minute-long bowel movement that I scored a zero. (Don't ask.) My highest score for the month went to my favorite song by The Cure, which someone was kind enough to recommend: "Just Like Heaven". The Cure - Just Like Heaven.

4. The highest average score from the group in general went to a track called "Train Song" by the British folk artist Vashti Bunyon. I thought it was a little bland, but OK. Vashti Bunyon - Train Song.

5. Once again, all of the songs recommended were available on YouTube. So I've wrapped it all up for you with a pretty ribbon. (Well, OK, there's not really a ribbon, but here's your damn playlist!) You can find it on February 2021 Song of the Day YouTube Playlist.

Anyway, that's my list, and I'm sticking to it. Y'all come back now, you hear?