Saturday, January 9, 2021

December 2020 Song of the Day

I know I'm running a little late this month, but better late than never. (Is it, though?) Anyway, here I am with the December 2020 Song of the Day.

For new readers, this blog entry refers to the monthly Song of the Day list on the Sputnik Music website. Each month, one user hosts the list and names a theme. Everyone then recommends songs in line with this theme, and people rate the various song recommendations. The list of December songs can be found at Sputnik Music Song of the Day - December 2020.

1. There was a dual theme for the month - songs that make you feel cold, or songs not in the English language. (And for this last one, instrumentals qualified as well as songs in other languages.)

2. Because I glommed three picks last month, I contented myself with one this month: "Come As You Are" by Santana. (Yes, I cheated a little, because they sing the words "Just come as you are" in the chorus, but the whole rest of the song is in Spanish.) Most of these tasteless bastards hated it, but you can lead a horse to water and all that. Santana - Come As You Are

3. I didn't really love a lot of songs this month; my average score was only 2.83 out of 5. But one song I really did like, and the song I rated the highest was "Glaedur" by the indie Icelandic electro folk artist Asgeir. It's kind of quiet and exotic. Asgeir - Glaedur

4. However, the group as a whole crowned a song sung in Old Icelandic as the winner of the month: None other than "Vidrar Vel Til Loftarasa" (say that three times fast) by the venerated post-rock ambient band Sigur Ros. Sigur Ros - Vidrar Vel Til Loftarasa". (I fucking hate foreign language months! I like the music, but do you know how much of a pain in the ass it is to spell these words?)

5. This was another one of those months where we had 32 songs for the month, because we can't count. I mean, because there was a bonus rec at the end of the month. This month, all 32 songs were available on the communist lapdog website YouTube, so here is the month's playlist: December 2020 Song of the Day YouTube Playlist.

Well, wishing everyone the best 2021 possible. I'm dubious myself, but we'll see.