Wednesday, September 2, 2020

August 2020 Song of the Day

So we've made it through almost 6 months of the COVID. Woo hoo! Anyway, August kind of sucked for me as far as SOTD went. I had one of my lowest monthly scores ever, and I didn't like the winning song at all. (My recs were impeccable, of course.)

Anyway, yeah, Song of the Day. For new readers, this refers to the monthly Song of the Day list on the Sputnik Music website. Each month, one user hosts the list and names a theme. Everyone then recommends songs in line with this theme, and people rate the various song recommendations. The list of August songs can be found at Sputnik Music Song of the Day - August 2020.

1. The theme for the month was Unlikely Collaborations and/or Featured Artists.

2. I got to make two recs this month, and went with two of my favorite artists. The first was "Time Stands Still" by Rush (featuring Aimee Mann), and the second was "A Rose By Any Name" by Blondie (featuring Beth Ditto of Gossip). The Blondie song scored a respectable 3.08, but Rush only scored a disappointing 2.56. What was that old quote about pearls before swine? (Bitter much, Rich?) Rush - Time Stand Still (featuring Aimee Mann)Blondie - A Rose By Any Name (featuring Beth Ditto).

3. The song I rated highest was "Un Hombre" by Exquirla (which is a collaboration between Toundra and Nino de Elche) Exquirla - Un Hombre.

4. However, the highest rated song of the month was "Crystallise" by Keleketla! (which is a collaboration between Coldcut, Tony Allen, Shabaka Hutchings, Antibalas and South African rapper Yugen Blakrok). I have to tip my hat to this song, as it won the month certainly no thanks to me; I only rated it at 1.7. It's a mixture of atonal jazz and hip-hop, two of my least favorite genres. Keleketla! - Crystallise.

5. 29 of the 31 recs for the month are available on YouTube. The link for the YouTube playlist is August 2020 Song of the Day YouTube playlist.

I'm hoping for a better September, as my overall average score for August was only 2.65. Most months average higher than 3. 

So that's it for now. See ya soon.