Saturday, August 1, 2020

July 2020 Song of the Day

Dammit, the Blogspot people have been effing around with the format on here, and now I can't find anything. What is it with web people that they can't resist mucking about with something that's perfectly fine? The front page looks so damned horsey now.

Well, nothing to be done. I'm sitting here listening to the new Joe Satriani album, so I'm going to keep myself chill, and hardly wish them leprosy or anything.

Anyway, here's this month's Song of the Day update. For new readers, this refers to the monthly Song of the Day list on the Sputnik Music website. Each month, one user hosts the list and names a theme. Everyone then recommends songs in line with this theme, and people rate the various song recommendations. The list of July songs can be found at Sputnik Music Song of the Day - July 2020.

1. The theme for the month was Songs From/About Your Home Town. 

2. There were obviously so many amazing choices to choose from, but I went with "Hero (I Don't Wanna Be)" from my old buddies This Island Earth. Sadly, many of my fellow Sput Users are a bit pop rock impaired, so it didn't score that highly with most of them. The feeling was mutual, as I didn't care for many of their picks either, so my average rating for the month was 2.79 (out of 5), one of my lowest scores ever. (That's what they get for hitting me with three hip-hop songs in one month.) This Island Earth - Hero (I Don't Wanna Be).

3. I had a two-way tie for my highest rating this month between two classics: "Blister in the Sun" by Violent Femmes, and "Welcome to the Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance. Violent Femmes - Blister in the SunMy Chemical Romance - Welcome to the Black Parade.

4. However, the highest scoring song of the month (of which with Denise would most assuredly approve) was another classic, "Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode. Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence.

5. In all, there were actually 32 recs for July, as the host for the month allowed a latecomer to add a bonus track to the end of the playlist. The link for the playlist for the month, minus the 3 songs that aren't up on YouTube, is July 2020 Song of the Day YouTube Playlist.

Anyway, hope you're all staying safe, and maybe even going back to work, as New York State is starting to open things up again. Also, I'm done with all my listening, so I hope to have that write-up about The Police done sometime this week (or maybe even tomorrow, depending on the workload from my job and my own level of laziness.) And no, we're NOT going to defund them, you sick so-and-so's. (What would Sting do without his private jet?)

Also, as an addendum, they've finally released the new Go-Go's documentary on Showtime (which I think is still free for most of you who have Optimum Cable during the Covid.) Denise and I watched it this morning, and if you're a fan (like we are - that was one of the shows the Covid made us miss out on this summer), I think you'll find it pretty enjoyable. Man, given their lifestyles, those five gals are damned lucky to still be alive.

That's all for now. As my son used to say when he was 10, while running rings around me in his racing video game, "Peace Out, Suckas!"