Friday, January 22, 2016

A (Very) Brief Update

I'm not sure if the goal I set in my last post was too ambitious, re/finishing my Best of 2015 lists by the end of January. Might be close, but I don't know.

Here's how obsessive-compulsive I am -- I have a whole system of how I listen to/review new CDs. I start by listening in my car -- I usually have a group of 4 CDs in the car, and I alternate my way through them until I've listened to them 4 times each. Then I give them another 3 listens on my iPod, and start to try to make sense of which are the best songs, where they are in relation to other albums that came out this year, etc.

It used to be crazy enough back when I was still actively reviewing CDs for different music papers. But it's embarrassingly batshit insane that I've continued doing this over the last few years when I've just been doing it for myself. But that's me. (That might be one of the reasons I started to write this blog -- if I'm writing about new music somewhere where other people might read it, maybe it makes me less crazy for going through all of this rigamarole. At least that's what I'm going to pretend.)

So anyway, I've got the last batch of CDs from 2015 in the car now, including the latest from Squeeze, Candice Night and Coldplay. And it will probably take a couple of weeks to process them through.

Luckily, the beginning of the year is usually a slow time for new albums. So it will be awhile before I start getting new CDs for 2016.

In the next day or two, I'm going to post a little about how I listen to and relate to music, and give you an idea of my tastes by listing some of my top albums of all time.

Until then, there's a big blizzard supposed to hit tomorrow morning here in the northeast, so stay safe everybody. Stay indoors, and listen to music.